Author Topic: do ghosts smell?  (Read 12010 times)

adoptmizedb

do ghosts smell?
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:50:35 PM »
Do ghosts smell? Some have claimed that they smell of stale food. Or, perhaps, of rotting food. Others claim to have a detected a "fetid" smell in the presence of apparitions. Yet that may be fanciful, a reminder of the association of ghosts with death. Rooms are suddenly filled with the smell of fresh cigar smoke. Floating perfumes issue from no visible source. And there are fugitive smells, of leather-working or brewing, that seem to hover in premises that were once devoted to a particular trade. Certain churches and abbeys are filled with an inexplicable odour of incense; this has been particularly remarked among the ruins of Glastonbury. In old buildings there may be the sudden emanation of the odour of herbs. The scent of thyme is supposed to be an indication of murder. There are cases involving the sudden and overwhelming fragrance of flowers.

Ghosts are sometimes seen at the moment of the death of a person. There are also ghosts of the living, often seen many miles from the location of the human being. Ghosts of the living also appear when the living subject is asleep or dreaming. Some ghosts appear as animals. The black dog or "shuck" was well known before Johnson borrowed it as an image of melancholy. Other ghosts come back because they have not been properly buried. There are ghosts who return to correct a wrong, or to fulfil a pledge. Some seem sent merely to cause mischief and alarm. But the vast majority of ghosts seem to be without a purpose. More than one witness has described them as "mindless" or "brainless". The ghost is normally seen by one person rather than a group of people. They can touch you, but you cannot touch them.

Our ancestors did not use the word "exorcise" to describe the containment or banishment of ghosts; they spoke of "laying" them, as if they are requested to sleep rather than be driven away. The laying of ghosts, in previous centuries, followed a customary pattern. The minister, when called to eliminate a spirit, was asked to "read it down". By the light of candles, the priest would read from the Bible, in the process diminishing the ghost in size until it could be placed in a bottle or box. The other form of laying a ghost was by incessant prayer, sometimes lasting for several days and nights. There is an account of one ghost "who refused to go into the bottle in which it was to be imprisoned, because there was a man outside eating bread and cheese... the poor minister was so exhausted by the task that he died". The bottle containing the ghost might then be thrown into a pond or pool; alternatively, the ghost might be consigned to a tree or to a chimney. The usual duration of this exile was 66 or 99 years. Yet a ghost under Eardisland Bridge in Herefordshire has been laid for the past 2,000 years. The other method of laying a ghost was to command it to perform an impossible task, such as weaving ropes of sand or emptying a pond with a sieve. Some ghosts, however, cannot be laid to rest. Wherever they are taken, they are allowed to move back to the site of their haunting at the pace of one "cock-stride" each year.

It was believed in some regions that the best method of exorcising a ghost was to throw graveyard earth at it. Earth from a graveyard was believed to be potent because it could dissolve human flesh. It is said that ghosts also have an aversion to iron. This superstition is suggestive. It would seem to have arisen in the neolithic period, when the mineral may have been an object of wonder and fear, its properties held to be magical. If this is indeed the case, then the belief in ghosts or spirits extends a long way back. The manner of address to a ghost, in previous centuries, was also laid down by custom. "In the name of God, what art thou?" A priest might say, "In the name of God, why do you trouble us?"

InsomniacGirl

• View Profile
Re: do ghosts smell?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »
Based on many stories of a ghostly presence, a large consensus of people agree that ghosts do indeed smell. And based on my own personal experiences, I would agree.
While I have yet to research why the smell of cigar smoke or flowers is a common odor of a paranormal presence, I have smelled faint cigar smoke in a home that was known to be haunted by its' former owner. In that same home, the scent of Lily of the Valley flowers was so intense that I had trouble breathing.

Of course, I had been told that in life, these people smoked cigars or favored a certain flowery-scented perfume, so I would assume that while these ghosts could not be seen, they would make their presence known by their smells. Those who have lost their loved ones are often comforted by such odors. One person reported that they would often smell grease in their home, the deceased had been a mechanic in life.

I would tend to believe that certain scents and odors are a ghost's way of letting us know that they are still among the living.

MyDigitalpoint

• DP Mysitque
    • View Profile
    • MyDigitalpoint PRO
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »
Before going to the point, let me tell you that in my own experience, people who passes away do not like to be called "ghosts" because most of them associate such word with a spook, sort of Casper and friends, so I prefer to call them "spiritual beings," which are certainly what they are.

And I believe they do not smell at all but indeed, they make use of "smelling tricks" to let people know they exist in the spiritual plane (the ether,) but they can still be around. This is why sometimes we can perceive familiar odors around us coming from nowhere.

My grandmother loved to have lots of spikenard flowers all over her home, so the place had a peculiar fragrance I have never smelled anywhere else. She passed away when I was only 9, and she could not fulfill a dream; take me to Disneyland in my 15th birthday.

However, when I turned fifteen years old my bedroom was filled with a memorable aroma; spikenard flowers that my parents also perceived. Needless to say there were not flowers in my room nor in the house because my mother dislike natural flowers arguing they attract mosquitoes.

In some other circumstances I have perceived inexplicable odors that recall me people who already passed away, but I believe they use those odors only when they want to attract our attention, because I have had other experiences in which I had evidence of spirit contact but no smell.
MyDigitalpoint PRO Freelance Marketplace

zararina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:53:35 AM »
Yes i agree to call the spiritual beings rather than ghosts and that the smell was not from them but it was their way of making us aware they are just around. I had experienced smelling some sort of flower scent which i could not explain where it would have come from.

InsomniacGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
MyDigitalpoint,
You make a very good point there! In thinking about this, it only makes sense that the departed would make use of 'smelling tricks' to make one aware of their presence. In the case of my husband's deceased grandmother who filled the room with the scent of flowers one night, I believe she was curious about me (I had never met her when she was alive), so she definitely made her presence known...the scent was very strong indeed, lol!

carmendaily

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »
Honestly, I think it depends on how they died. That's just my opinion though, like if they died in the water or something.. it may also depend on how physically away the ghost is, some ghosts are more transparent than others..